Monday, November 22, 2010

I Think, Therefore I'm Single

My first serious relationship spanned from 19-22.  It started out as a long distance relationship (only 2h away however) but after it became apparent that we really liked each other, I moved to his city and we lived together.

It lasted for 2.5 years before I packed my bags and left.  My ex may have loved me, but he didn't love himself very well, and he had massive issues with his father that were left unresolved which boiled over into our relationship via angry fits and holes in walls, but never to physical violence against each other.

I found a few pin-on buttons shortly after we broke up, and because they were cheap and entertained me, I bought them.

One of them read:  "Don't get stars in your eyes!  They'll burn your lids right off!"

The other read:  "I Think, Therefore I'm Single"

I wore both on my jacket, and found other people's response to them quite interesting, and telling.

When people read the second badge, I could instantly tell how they felt about their own marital state.  If they were happily married, they were somewhat offended by the badge.  If they were single and happy, they laughed and agreed full-on with it.  If they were married and unhappy, some tried to hide their chuckle, others gave 'sad' responses.

I wore that badge while I recovered from the ending of my first serious relationship, while out in public in general, and while doing light dating.  I only took it off once I found someone I was willing to consider committing to, after we had been dating for a while.

I think I need to get another badge like that.  It was such a helpful marital-status chat opener, made it much easier for me to learn who was single and who wasn't.

Plus, I like to offend people who are looking for things that offend them.  It entertains me.

PS: I found that button.  The one I haven't worn in 15 years.  For some reason, it had worked its way out of whatever box it was stashed in, and was on the floor beneath my computer, facing down as I wrote this entry.  Frickin' weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment