Sunday, November 21, 2010

Social Expectations Are Irrelevant

I love the Seven of Nine character from the Star Trek: Voyager series, just like I love Data on the Star Trek: The Next Generation series.

Yes, I like Star Trek - it tends to be low-drama entertainment that bases a lot of its humor and depth on the philosophical dissimilarities between people and cultures, which is something I love to think about.

I didn't expect to like Seven of Nine as much as I do, but I absolutely love the contradiction in terms her feminine body is with her direct, focused and very masculine emotional state.  I'm sure there are also a lot of males who enjoy this contradiction, but for distinctly different reasons than I do. ;)

The main reason I like Seven so much is because she's like Tuvok the vulcan - highly logically-driven in her decision making processes, and because of that fact, anyone who tries to manipulate her for their own personal gain or to protect their pride... fails.  Also, because she was rescued from the Borg collective which has distinctly different social dynamics than either humans or vulcans, she's even MORE interesting - she is logical and strong, and is trying to deal with illogical human social customs and taboos.

"Irrelevant" is her favorite word, and quite often, I find myself agreeing with her assessments.

I've got some people in my life who don't like those assessments because they've found the logic difficult to debate without bringing emotions into the mix.

Some say the emotions are a natural part of the debate, and I agree - Seven shows a passion and conviction and hunger to truly understand - but that doesn't mean she allows people to use emotions such as fear, anger or guilt to sway her logical debates.

Seven is my hero!

No comments:

Post a Comment